The mosquito is the smallest but the most dangerous insect in the animal kingdom. According to WHO mosquito is the main cause of human death in the animal kingdom. The death toll per year is from 750,000 up to 1 million. The common sickness from mosquito bites is Zika, Chikungunya, malaria, dengue, Zika, West Nile, and Yellow fever. The health department has always been cautioning us about the danger of mosquito bites but we can prevent this from happening in an earlier stage because prevention is better than cure. Today we will list some good tips on how to prevent mosquito bites.
1) Removal of stagnant water
This is the main cause of mosquito breeding. Mosquitos lay eggs in stagnant water and they can lay from 100 to 200 eggs at a time. Imagine only 1 bite can kill us, and having up to 200 eggs in our house, is very dangerous. They can breed in any type of stagnant water as the drain which is clogged, standing water, and water that is served for our pets. They breed the best in shallow waters. So avoid at all costs having stagnant water at home and try to throw out the water at least a few days once to avoid the accumulation of mosquitoes at home that can cause bites which directly can cause dangerous diseases.
2) The correct clothing
The correct clothing to wear is very important to avoid mosquito bites. There are many important tips for you to follow and today we will give you the 5 most important tips on clothing
- Never wear dark clothing. Mosquito is known to be attracted to dark clothing. This is because they search for food in daylight and dark color clothes are more attractive to them.
- When going out avoid thin materials or lightweight clothing. Go for tighter materials like cotton and nylon. This will make penetration by mosquitoes tougher.
- Always wear long-sleeved clothing when going out to wooded areas to get the maximum amount of protection from mosquito bites
- Always wear your pants inside your boots to get better protection from the bites
- Use Permetherin on your clothes when going to wooded areas. This can easily repel mosquitoes. But remember to not use it directly on your skin and also to spray on the cloth one day before actually going out
3) Mosquito net
The mosquito net is the most common tool that you can use to prevent mosquito bites. This net prevents the mosquito from coming inside and biting us by surrounding and protecting the area. There are many types and designs of these nets and they can be used indoors or outdoor when going camping. The most important thing is the correct way to use these nets. Make sure the net is tucked in neatly under the mattress or bed. Although it can protect you from mosquitoes, they can still bite through the holes so never lay against the net. Also, make sure there are no fire sources nearby like a candle or open fire.
4) Use correct repellents
Several repellents can be used to avoid mosquito bites but some of them have minimal effect on repelling mosquitos. Some of these bug sprays can give good treatment for your skin.
- DEET – This is a very good repellent and you need at least 20% of it to protect you. It can be used by anyone including pregnant ladies and kids
- Picaridin – This is a plant-based material that is found in several types of products and it is safe for pregnant women and kids.
- IR3535 – This mosquito repellent is man-made and can keep mosquitoes away from your skin for several hours. Also safe for pregnant women and kids
- Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus – Another good compound found in products that can repel mosquitos. But do not use pure OLE because it is not tested yet
- 2-Undecanone – Also known as BioUD, This compound comes from tomatoes and is a good blocker
Some tools that work but are not as good as the above repellent
- Essential oils
- Bug zappers
- Ultrasonic devices
5) Dusk and dawn
Mosquito bites all the time but they are mostly very active at dusk and dawn. Try to avoid going outside at this time of the day. If need to go, then use repellent or wear some good clothing to avoid getting bitten by them.
6) Mosquito control
If you are having mosquito problems, you can use the above method to minimize the biting but at the same time, you can also go for a mosquito control service. So whenever you are going out to your backyard and see a lot of mosquitos then call them. One of the best mosquito control services is from HonorGuard. They protect your surrounding so you have the best time with family and friends.
Mosquitos are very dangerous and they can be fatal if you don’t take proper action to avoid their bite. Never take these things lightly and whenever you need good protection, just follow the tips given above so that your house backyard or vacation to wooded areas can be a good memory for all of you.