Your home’s crawlspace may often be out of sight, but it should never be out of mind. Crawlspace problems can lead to a host of issues, from unwanted pests infiltrating your living space to high energy costs due to inefficient insulation. At Honor Guard Pest Control, we understand the significance of addressing challenges to ensure a comfortable and pest-free home. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore the importance of proper insulation solutions for crawlspace problems and delve into the innovative technologies we offer to transform your crawlspace into a well-protected and energy-efficient part of your home.
A Dual Solution for Pest Control
EPA-registered TAP pest control insulation is a revolutionary solution that tackles two critical issues simultaneously – pest control and energy efficiency. By effectively controlling common household pests like ants, boxelder bugs, centipedes, cockroaches, millipedes, silverfish, and stink bugs, TAP insulation ensures your home remains pest-free throughout the year.
What makes TAP insulation truly unique is its green nature and alignment with current Integrated Pest Management (IPM) techniques. This means that while it keeps pests at bay, it also contributes to maintaining the air in your living areas comfortable and free from unwanted invaders. Moreover, TAP insulation minimizes the energy required to heat or cool your home, leading to significant savings on your heating and cooling costs.
Crawlspace Encapsulation and Moisture Control
The importance of a well-maintained crawlspace cannot be overstated. Proper insulation and moisture control play a crucial role in the overall health and efficiency of your home. Without these measures, a myriad of problems can arise, impacting both your living comfort and your wallet.
One of the significant issues related to crawlspace problems is the stack effect or convection process. Air movement between the crawlspace and the house allows not only air but also pollutants, odors, fungus spores, and dust mite feces to enter your living areas. These contaminants can lead to respiratory problems, including allergies and asthma, compromising your family’s health.
Additionally, excess moisture in a vented, dirt-floored crawlspace can lead to insulation damage and promote the growth of mold and fungus. This can not only undermine your home’s energy efficiency but also jeopardize the structural integrity of your property.
Solutions To Your Crawlspace Problems
At Honor Guard Pest Control, we prioritize crawlspace problems, and we’ve designed our comprehensive encapsulation and moisture control services to address these challenges effectively. With our multi-step approach, we transform your crawlspace into a dry, clean, and energy-efficient space, safeguarding both your home and your loved ones.
1: Install Airtight Doors & Vent Covers
- Sealing crawl space doors and vents stops the cycle of cold, humidity, and moisture entering from the outside air. This crucial step prevents unwanted airflow and contaminants from infiltrating your home.
2: Remove Standing Water Sources
- Our experts will eliminate any sources of flooding in your crawlspace by installing a crawl space drain and sump pump system. This ensures that flooding water is effectively removed, keeping your crawlspace dry and free from moisture-related issues.
3: Encapsulate & Insulate the Crawlspace
- To stop moisture from passing through your floors and porous concrete walls, a durable crawl space vapor barrier and liner will be installed. This transformational step not only protects against moisture infiltration but also creates usable storage space in your crawlspace. Additionally, we will install high-quality insulation to enhance the energy efficiency of your home.
4: Install a Dehumidifier
- Maintain optimal humidity levels and protect your crawlspace from mold, dust mites, and mildew. Use our energy-efficient, self-draining crawl space dehumidifier. The included air filter ensures clean and fresh air in your living spaces by removing particles.
Embrace a Safer, Comfortable, and Energy-Efficient Home
Protect your home’s comfort, health, and efficiency from crawlspace problems. At Honor Guard Pest Control, we offer expertise and cutting-edge solutions to address these issues effectively. From EPA-registered TAP pest control insulation to comprehensive crawlspace encapsulation and moisture control. We are committed to providing a unique service experience that guarantees your complete satisfaction.
Lastly, take action now by contacting us to schedule an inspection. Let our experts transform your crawlspace into a well-protected, energy-efficient, and pest-free part of your home. With Honor Guard Pest Control, bid farewell those problems. And welcome a healthier, more comfortable living environment for you and your family.
Safeguarding your home is of utmost importance, and termite inspections play a vital role in this endeavor. Moreover, these preventive measures not only grant you peace of mind but also effectively shield your property. In this blog, we will delve into the significance of termite inspections, explain the process involved, and, most importantly, demonstrate how Honor Guard Pest Control can expertly assist you in maintaining a termite-free home.
Understanding Termite Inspections
Termite inspections are not only thorough examinations of your home but also vital in identifying existing termite infestations or potential risks of an infestation. By conducting regular inspections, homeowners can proactively detect termite activity and effectively take preventive measures to mitigate any damage. Now, let’s delve into the reasons why termite inspections are absolutely crucial:
Early detection is key when it comes to termite infestations. Termites are silent destroyers that can go unnoticed for months or even years while causing significant structural damage. Regular inspections allow professionals to identify termites in their early stages, preventing extensive destruction and saving you from costly repairs.
An experienced inspector evaluates your home’s risk factors during a termite inspection. This includes moisture-prone areas, wood debris, and potential entry points. By identifying these vulnerabilities, valuable recommendations on minimizing the risk of termite infestations can be provided.
We pride ourselves on utilizing state-of-the-art equipment, such as moisture meters and termite detection systems, to scientifically assess your home. By employing this advanced technology, we are able to ensure precise evaluation of termite presence and the extent of any infestation. As a result, armed with this valuable information, we can expertly craft a customized treatment plan that is specifically tailored to meet your unique needs.
The Termite Inspection Process
When you choose Honor Guard Pest Control for your termite inspection needs, you can expect a comprehensive and meticulous process. Here’s an overview of our termite inspection procedure:
- Basement/Crawlspace Examination:
- Our inspector will carefully inspect your basement or crawlspace for any signs of termite activity, including mud tubes, wood damage, or discarded wings.
- Foundation Inspection:
- We pay close attention to your home’s foundation, looking for wood debris, cracks, or gaps that may serve as potential entry points for termites.
- Risk Area Assessment:
- We thoroughly evaluate risk areas such as moisture-prone spots, wooden structures, and landscaping features that may attract termites.
- State-of-the-Art Equipment:
- Our advanced equipment, including moisture meters and termite detection systems, aids in accurate termite assessment and ensures a thorough inspection.
- Inspection Report and Recommendations:
- After the inspection, you will receive a detailed inspection report, complete with a customized diagram highlighting problem areas and our recommended plan for termite protection.
Customized Termite Inspection Plans
If a termite infestation or the potential for one is identified during the inspection, Honor Guard Pest Control will discuss the best solution for your specific situation. We understand that every home is unique, and a one-size-fits-all approach does not work when it comes to termite control. Based on the layout of your home and the severity of the infestation, we create a customized treatment plan tailored to your property’s needs.
Liquid Termite Treatments
For immediate and long-lasting protection, we offer liquid termite treatments. This solution is safe for indoor and outdoor application and can be used within building foundations to create a protective barrier around your home. Our skilled technicians carefully inspect, measure, and graph each home to deliver the exact amount of treatment necessary. This liquid treatment provides not only immediate protection but also guards against future infestations. With a duration of 10 years, it offers long-lasting peace of mind for homeowners.
Monitoring for Ongoing Protection
In addition to liquid termite treatments, we also employ monitoring techniques to ensure continuous protection against termites. Our monitoring treatment disrupts termite molting processes, stunting their growth and reducing their population. It is strategically applied to areas at the highest risk of attracting termites, such as moist soil, mulch, old tree stumps, irrigation sprinkler heads, and downspouts. The monitors provide continual protection without causing any damage to your property.
After completing the service, our technician will provide you with a detailed service ticket that explains the actions taken and outlines when they will return to monitor the progress of the treatments. This proactive monitoring approach ensures that any signs of termite activity are swiftly addressed, offering ongoing protection and preventing future infestations.
Safeguard Your Home with Termite Inspections
Lastly, termite inspections go beyond prevention; they are a vital step in safeguarding your home and providing peace of mind. By detecting termites early, evaluating risk factors, and implementing personalized treatment plans, you can effectively shield your property from the destructive consequences of termite damage.
At Honor Guard Pest Control, we take pride in delivering exceptional termite inspections and effective termite control solutions. Our commitment to excellence is evident through our meticulous inspections, utilization of state-of-the-art equipment, and personalized treatment plans. These comprehensive measures not only empower homeowners but also ensure long-lasting protection. Contact us today!
Bed bugs are a common household pest that can cause sleepless nights and leave you with itchy bites. Understanding their behavior and bed bug origins is crucial to effectively combating these resilient creatures. In this blog post, we will delve into the world of bed bugs, exploring their habits, lifecycle, and most importantly, how to prevent and treat infestations.
The Basics of Bed Bugs
Bed bugs, scientifically known as Cimex lectularius, are small, reddish-brown insects that feed on the blood of humans and animals. They are wingless and approximately the size of an apple seed. Despite their name, bed bugs are not limited to infesting beds; they can be found in various areas within a home or business.
Origins of a Bed Bug
Bed bugs have been plaguing humans for centuries, with records of infestations dating back to ancient Egypt and Greece. The widespread use of pesticides in the mid-20th century drastically reduced bed bug populations, leading to a false sense of their eradication. However, increased international travel, reduced pesticide use, and pesticide resistance have contributed to the resurgence of bed bugs in recent decades.
Common Sources of Infestations:
- Hotels and motels: Bed bugs often hitch a ride on luggage or clothing, allowing them to spread from room to room or even travel back home with guests.
- Secondhand furniture: Used mattresses, couches, and other upholstered items can harbor bed bugs, making careful inspection necessary before bringing them into your home.
- Public transportation: Buses, trains, and airplanes provide opportunities for bed bugs to move from one location to another.
- Shared spaces: Dormitories, apartment buildings, and communal laundry areas are at a higher risk of infestations due to frequent movement of people and belongings.
Their Lifecycle and Behavior
- Bed bugs lay tiny, whitish eggs in hidden cracks and crevices, usually close to their food source (humans).
- A single female can lay hundreds of eggs in her lifetime.
- After hatching, bed bugs go through five nymph stages, molting and growing larger between each stage.
- Nymphs require a blood meal to molt into the next stage.
- Adult bed bugs have a flat, oval-shaped body and can survive for several months without feeding.
- They are nocturnal creatures and prefer to feed at night, attracted to the carbon dioxide and body heat emitted by sleeping humans.
- Bed bugs inject an anesthetic and anticoagulant into their hosts, ensuring an uninterrupted blood meal.
Hiding and Movement:
- During the day, bed bugs hide in various places such as mattress seams, cracks in furniture, behind wallpaper, and electrical outlets.
- They can crawl surprisingly quickly and are adept at squeezing into tiny spaces, making it challenging to locate and eliminate them.
Preventing and Treating Infestations
- Inspect your accommodations when traveling, checking for signs of bed bugs (dark spots, shed skins, or live bugs).
- Avoid bringing secondhand furniture or mattresses into your home without thorough inspection.
- Encase mattresses and box springs with bed bug-proof covers.
- Reduce clutter in your home to minimize hiding spots for bed bugs.
- Vacuum regularly, paying close attention to seams, crevices, and other potential hiding places.
- If you suspect a bed bug infestation, contact a professional pest control provider like Honor Guard Pest Control.
- Professional treatments may include insecticide application, heat treatments, or a combination of methods, depending on the severity of the infestation.
- Even after successfully treating a bed bug infestation, it’s crucial to remain vigilant to prevent future outbreaks.
- Regularly inspect your home for signs of bed bugs, especially in areas where they are known to hide.
- If you have recently traveled or had guests staying overnight, conduct a thorough inspection of luggage and clothing before bringing them inside.
- Educate yourself and your family members about bed bug prevention measures to ensure everyone is aware and takes necessary precautions.
Take Control of Bed Bugs
Understanding a bed bug and their origins is the first step towards effective prevention and treatment. By being aware of common sources of infestation, the lifecycle and behavior of bed bugs, as well as preventive measures, you can minimize the risk of infestation in your home or business. Remember, when it comes to bed bugs, early detection and professional intervention are key.
Don’t let bed bugs take over your home. Contact Honor Guard Pest Control today for professional bed bug extermination and comprehensive pest control solutions. Visit our website or call us to schedule a consultation with our experienced team. Don’t wait—take action against bed bugs now and restore comfort and tranquility to your living space.
Brown recluse spiders are a concern for homeowners due to their reclusive nature and potentially harmful bites. By taking proactive measures, you can prevent brown recluse spider bites and ensure the safety of your family. In this blog, we will explore effective strategies offered by pest control experts to keep these spiders at bay. Let’s dive into the proactive approach to prevent these pesky bites.
Understanding the Spider
Brown recluse spiders have distinct features and habits that set them apart. Understanding these characteristics can help you identify and prevent encounters with them.
- Appearance: These spiders are light to dark brown in color, with a violin-shaped marking on their backs.
- Habitat: They prefer dark, secluded areas such as basements, attics, and closets.
Recognizing the Dangers of Brown Recluse Bites
Brown recluse spider bites can have severe consequences, so it’s essential to understand the potential risks.
- Symptoms: Bites may initially cause mild pain, but they can progress to skin necrosis (death of tissue) and allergic reactions.
- Seeking Medical Help: If you suspect a spider bite or experience severe symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.
Proactive Measures for Spider Prevention
Taking proactive steps to prevent brown recluse spider bites can greatly reduce the risk of encounters. Here are some effective preventive measures:
- Keep Your Living Spaces Clean and Clutter-Free:
- Regularly clean and vacuum your home to remove potential hiding spots.
- Declutter and organize storage areas to eliminate potential spider habitats.
- Seal Entry Points and Eliminate Hiding Spots:
- Seal cracks, gaps, and crevices in walls, doors, and windows to prevent spider entry.
- Repair damaged screens and install door sweeps to keep spiders out.
- Proper Outdoor Maintenance to Reduce Spider Attraction:
- Trim vegetation and shrubs near your home to remove potential hiding places.
- Clear away woodpiles and debris that can attract spiders.
- Be Mindful of Clothing and Bedding:
- Shake out clothing, shoes, and bedding before use to ensure no spiders are hiding.
- Store clothing and shoes in sealed containers to prevent spider access.
Pest Control’s Role in Brown Recluse Prevention
Professional pest control services can provide effective solutions for preventing brown recluse spider infestations.
- Thorough Home Inspections:
- Professionals can assess your home for potential entry points and identify spider hotspots.
- Targeted Treatment Plans:
- Customized solutions are designed to address existing infestations and prevent future ones.
- Pest control products are applied safely and effectively.
- Ongoing Monitoring and Maintenance:
- Regular follow-up inspections ensure long-term prevention and early detection.
Act Now to Safeguard Your Home
By taking a proactive approach and implementing these strategies, you can greatly reduce the risk of brown recluse spider bites in your home. HonorGuard Pest Control is committed to helping homeowners prevent infestations and protect their families.
To learn more about how HonorGuard Pest Control can assist you, contact us or visit our website. Take control of your home’s safety and enjoy peace of mind knowing that you have taken steps to prevent brown recluse bites. Act today to create a safe environment for your loved ones.
Are you tired of pesky mosquitoes ruining your outdoor activities? Do you want to reclaim your backyard and enjoy it to the fullest? Look no further! HonorGuard Pest is here to help you with their effective mosquito control solutions. With their expertise and dedication, you can say goodbye to those annoying bloodsuckers and reclaim your outdoor spaces. In this blog post, we will explore how HonorGuard Pest’s mosquito control services can make your backyard enjoyable once again.
Understanding the Mosquito Problem
Mosquitoes are not just irritating; they can also pose a threat to your health. These tiny pests are known carriers of various diseases like West Nile virus, Zika virus, and dengue fever. Protecting yourself and your family from these diseases is crucial. Understanding the mosquito problem is the first step towards finding an effective solution.
The Importance of Mosquito Control
Proper mosquito control is essential to ensure the safety and comfort of your family. Here’s why it matters:
- Disease Prevention: Mosquitoes can transmit harmful diseases. Implementing control measures can significantly reduce the risk of contracting diseases.
- Outdoor Enjoyment: Mosquitoes can turn a relaxing evening in your backyard into a nightmare. By investing in mosquito control, you can create a better environment, allowing you to enjoy outdoor activities without constant swatting and discomfort.
- Protecting Pets: Mosquitoes don’t just target humans; they also bite our furry friends. This control helps safeguard the health and well-being of your beloved pets.
Introducing HonorGuard Pest’s Mosquito Control Solutions
HonorGuard Pest takes pride in being a leading provider of mosquito control services. They offer comprehensive solutions designed to eradicate mosquitoes and keep them at bay. Here’s how their services can help you:
- Inspection and Assessment: HonorGuard Pest’s skilled technicians conduct a thorough inspection of your property to identify mosquito breeding areas and potential problem areas. This assessment helps them customize the most effective mosquito control plan for your specific needs.
- Targeted Treatments: With a deep understanding of mosquito behavior and habitat, HonorGuard Pest utilizes targeted treatments to eliminate mosquitoes at their source. They employ environmentally friendly methods that are safe for your family and pets.
- Residual Barrier Protection: HonorGuard Pest creates a residual barrier around your property to prevent future mosquito infestations. This proactive approach ensures long-lasting protection, allowing you to enjoy mosquito-free outdoor spaces for an extended period.
- Educational Resources: In addition to their expert services, HonorGuard Pest offers educational resources to help you understand mosquito control best practices. They provide tips on eliminating stagnant water sources, maintaining a well-trimmed yard, and using mosquito repellents effectively.
The Benefits of Choosing HonorGuard Pest
When you choose HonorGuard Pest for your mosquito control needs, you can expect the following benefits:
- Expertise: HonorGuard Pest’s technicians are highly trained and knowledgeable in mosquito control techniques. They stay updated with the latest advancements in the field to provide you with the most effective solutions.
- Personalized Approach: Every property is unique, and HonorGuard Pest understands that. They tailor their mosquito control strategies to suit your specific needs, ensuring maximum efficiency.
- Eco-Friendly Practices: HonorGuard Pest is committed to environmentally friendly practices. They prioritize the use of non-toxic and low-impact products to minimize any harm to the environment while effectively controlling mosquitoes. You can have peace of mind knowing that their solutions are safe for your family, pets, and the ecosystem.
- Customer Satisfaction: HonorGuard Pest goes above and beyond to ensure customer satisfaction. They believe in providing a unique service experience that exceeds your expectations. From the initial consultation to the implementation of their mosquito control solutions, they are dedicated to your complete satisfaction.
Enjoy Your Backyard Again
Imagine stepping into your backyard without the constant buzzing and biting of mosquitoes. With HonorGuard Pest’s mosquito control solutions, you can make this a reality. Their effective treatments and preventive measures will create a mosquito-free zone, allowing you to enjoy your outdoor spaces to the fullest. Whether it’s hosting a barbecue, playing with your kids, or simply relaxing in the fresh air, HonorGuard Pest’s services will make your backyard a haven from mosquitoes.
Don’t let mosquitoes rob you of the joy of outdoor living. Take action today and reclaim your backyard with HonorGuard Pest’s mosquito control solutions. Their skilled technicians are ready to assess your property, develop a personalized plan, and implement effective treatments to eradicate mosquitoes. Say goodbye to itchy bites and health concerns, and say hello to a mosquito-free environment.
Contact HonorGuard Pest or visit their website to schedule a consultation and reclaim your backyard from mosquitoes. Don’t wait any longer – start enjoying your outdoor spaces again with HonorGuard Pest’s top-notch mosquito control services!
Creating a safe and comfortable home environment is essential for every family. One crucial aspect of maintaining a healthy living space is residential pest control. In this blog, we will explore the importance of residential pest control and provide valuable insights into why it is vital for homeowners to take proactive measures. From the risks associated with pest infestations to effective prevention techniques, let’s delve into creating a pest-free home.
Understanding the Risks of Pest Infestations
- Disease transmission by pests like rodents, mosquitoes, and cockroaches
- Allergies and respiratory issues triggered by pest droppings and dander
- Structural damage caused by termites, ants, and rodents
- Contamination of food and household items by pests
Reputation and Peace of Mind
- The negative perception of a pest-infested home
- Psychological stress and anxiety caused by living with pests
The Benefits of Residential Pest Control
Early Detection and Prevention
- Regular inspections to identify signs of pest activity
- Proactive measures to prevent infestations before they escalate
Tailored Solutions for Pest Management
- Customized treatment plans based on the specific pest issues
- Eco-friendly and safe pest control methods
Long-Term Cost Savings
- Preventing costly property damage repairs
- Minimizing the need for expensive pest control treatments
Effective Residential Pest Control Techniques
Proper Sanitation Practices
- Regular cleaning to eliminate food sources and potential pest habitats
- Proper waste management and garbage disposal
Sealing Entry Points
- Identifying and sealing gaps, cracks, and openings that pests can exploit
- Installing door sweeps and window screens for added protection
Professional Pest Control Services
- Hiring a reputable residential pest control company
- Regular treatments and follow-up inspections for optimal results
Taking Action for a Pest-Free Home
Maintaining a pest-free home is crucial for the health, safety, and peace of mind of your family. By understanding the risks associated with pest infestations and implementing effective measures, you can create a safe and comfortable living environment. Remember to practice proper sanitation, seal entry points, and consider professional pest control services for comprehensive protection. Take action today to prevent pests from infiltrating your home.
If you’re concerned about infestations in your home, don’t hesitate to reach out to a trusted residential pest control provider. Contact us now to schedule an inspection and take the first step towards creating a pest-free home for your family. Remember, a pest-free home is a healthy home!
Winter Pest Control
Mice and rats remain active during winter, but as it is cold outdoors they move inside and build nests in walls and roof space where they can spend a few months, often breeding. In Tennessee, there are several commonly found spiders including Wolf Spider, Brown Recluse Spider, and Black Widow Spider. A bite from the last two can be fatal as they are extremely venomous. Sometimes spiders are found inside your home, and it is a good idea to get rid of them.
Rats and Mice will usually come inside the house before the first cold days of winter, and start building their nests in a cavity, mice only need a small space, and rats are more likely to climb to the roof space where they have more opportunity to nest. The first sign of rats and mice is often scrapping or scratching at night, as they come and go to feed, alternatively, there may be mouse droppings in the kitchen.
1. Rats and Mice Carry Disease
Both rats and mice carry infectious diseases including Salmonella and Tularemia. A bite from a rat can cause Rat Bite Fever, and in the past, they were responsible for causing Bubonic Plague.
2. Mice Can Cause Cancer in Humans
This is emerging research that can’t be ignored even though it is horrible. Some mice carry a virus that may cause breast cancer. Called the Mouse Mammary Tumour Virus, which is highly transmissible to humans.
3. Vermin Damage Your Home
Rats and mice are highly destructive and can even chew through electrical wiring, and if left unchecked can gradually destroy an unoccupied house.
4. Spiders and Ladybugs
Spiders will come indoors in cold wet weather, and you don’t want venomous spiders in your house. Usually, spiders don’t remain indoors as they like to be outside. However, spiders are more likely to stay indoors during the winter. Asian ladybugs were introduced to the USA for aphid control but turned out to be aggressive insects. They will invade your house in the cold weather and hide in fabrics and walls. They release a nasty-smelling liquid and bite as well.
5. Spiders are Attracted by Warmth and Light
Keep leaf litter and junk away from your house, and if you have a woodpile, the spiders will probably live in there.
This is hard to do, but try to seal off all entrances to your home, including mesh screens within your vents.
Regular Pest Inspections
Pests are active all the year, but it is only when they enter our home that we really notice them. It may be as simple as cockroaches in warmer climates, or scuttling rats and mice. Any of these creatures have to be eliminated. There are now many nontoxic pesticides to completely get rid of spiders. If you have small children the use of pesticides is a concern, and the type of spray used will be discussed with you first.
When you have your twice-yearly pest inspection, it enables our experts to eliminate opportunities for pests to enter your home, and after a while, you won’t see a pest in your house.
As we have seen, pests are active all year-round and not just in winter, pest control should prevail. Spiders and ladybugs become more active during Spring and Summer, and may even enter your house at any time given the opportunity. So it is best to always be vigilant, and don’t let them in. Contact Honor Guard Pest Control today to keep spiders, ladybugs, mice, and rats out of your home during winter!
What are bed bugs?
Bed Bugs are tiny insects, much like mosquitos, that like to feed off of human blood. Unlike mosquitos they do not fly but latch on to clothes, backpacks and clothing and can go wherever they are taken. When bed bugs get in a house they are not usually discovered until they mass produce. One of the biggest signs of bed bugs is if a person breaks out in a red rash or blisters. Once bed bugs have invaded a house it’s difficult to get rid of them. Females can lay up to seven eggs at one time and a single infestation could be in the thousands. Having bed bugs can be frustrating but there are easy ways to prevent them from entering a home.
Identify an Invasion
The thought of a bug infestation can be overwhelming for some people but it is good to know the signs in case of an invasion. One of the main signs bed bugs are present are bug bites appear like a rash and may contain blisters. Doctors cannot identify a bug bite by itself. The University of Tennessee suggests trying to collect one or more of its shedded skins in a Ziploc bag to bring along to the appointment. The University of Tennessee also offers additional information about bed bugs on their website. Another sign that will show up in a bed bug infestation are freckle spots in wood furniture. If the household has travelled recently, or any new furniture has entered the house from a questionable place these could also cause an infestation.
Latching onto clothes, backpacks, and suitcases are the easiest ways bed bugs can invade a house. Storing your suitcases and backpacks in a hotel room can be tricky sometimes especially when travelling with a family. Make sure luggage is not placed under the bed, on the floor, or near the bed. For clothes it is a good idea to store dirty clothes in a plastic bag and wash them as soon as possible. Drying them on high heat is recommended because it is more effective at killing bed bugs than washing them. Make sure to inspect all clothes, backpacks, and suitcases after travelling.
Bed bugs can enter a house through clothes, backpacks, and suitcases but they can also travel on furniture. It is very important when picking up furniture on the side of the road or in another not very sanitary place to look for signs of bed bugs. Make sure to inspect tiny corners or crevices for the tiny bugs. If you see freckle spots on the wood this could be the bugs’ fecal matter. When moistened with water the bed bugs’ fecal matter should turn red or a rust color. Other places bed bugs can hide are in the seams of couch cushions, behind wall hangings, and in heads of screws. The EPA has pictures of infected furniture with bed bugs. It’s crucial to check every little corner of furniture because bed bugs are so small and easy to miss.
At HonorGuard Pest Control we care about keeping bed bugs out of your house. We primarily serve Nashville, Knoxville, Atlanta as well as the surrounding areas – if you think your house could be infected don’t be afraid to contact us for information and schedule an evaluation.
Autumn is the time when practically everything within the environment starts to change. The leaves begin to turn shades of yellow and orange, the wind cools, and certain critters prefer to be warm during this time. This really is the season which will get you ready for the next colder months. Despite the fact that the autumn brings along chilly wind, bugs seem unconcerned. Anyone will come across vermin throughout the fall, and you’ll need to know their tricks!
What You Are Up Against
There are a multitude of critters and pests you can encounter during the Fall season. These may vary depending on where you live but most common pests include cockroaches, mice, stink bugs, rats, and spiders. While the smaller insects like spiders and stink bugs aren’t the worst, they can quickly multiply and take over a certain area in your home without you being aware. Small rodents like mice and rats can carry diseases, ticks, and fleas, which you don’t want spreading to you or your pets. They will also find their way into your food, leaving it inedible and your pantry covered in droppings. Don’t worry though, there are plenty of ways to get ahead of those little creatures before they even make it into your home.
Block Their Entry
Cold weather pests are notorious for finding even the tiniest of gaps to squeeze through. Be sure that all of your windows, doors, and sliding glass doors have a rubber weather tight seal around the borders. This will not only keep pests out, but will also keep your house warmer. Along with those preparations, a simple way to prevent unwanted guests is to close all of your windows and doors when they aren’t in use. The garage is always a common place to come across mice, and many insects. Ensure that all the cracks and spaces are filled in and blocked off as well.
Properly Storing Food
Food being stored poorly is one of the main reasons homeowners experience infestations of unwanted critters. Make sure that all food is sealed tightly and put away in a cupboard or pantry. Leaving fruits and bread out on the counter or center island is just asking for a trail of ants or a few mice to invite themselves in for a quick bite. It is also a good practice to check under your furniture and behind major appliances for any food that may have slipped out of your hand and fallen behind or under something. While leaving food out in the open where pests can clearly be seen is bad, having them feasting out of your sight is even worse when and if you realize they are there. Lastly, ensure that all the food being thrown into the trash can has a closed-top. This way, the scent of food won’t linger around your home, drawing those pests inside to see what’s on the menu.
Stop Those Leaks
Excess moisture in your house can also lead to a swarm of bugs and mice. It is always a good idea to make note of any leaks in your plumbing. This could mean your sinks, toilet, shower, refrigerator, and especially your wash and dryer. Most common dryers vent to the outside, and if you have leaks and moisture near them, it can draw in all those vermin you’re trying to prevent. Patch up those leaks and make sure all the fittings are tightened.
It’s common to get frightened by this information, but don’t panic!. Now is the perfect time to begin making steps towards keeping your house rid of all those creatures during autumn. Make sure you keep on the lookout for circumstances that might invite them inside.